This park is currently closed due to fire hazard.
Namu Conservancy and Namu Corridor Conservancy
About This Conservancy
Namu Conservancy and Namu Corridor Conservancy were established as part of government’s land use decision in the Central Coast planning area. Strategically located at the entrance to Burke Channel, Fougner Bay was home to the Namu Cannery, which was built in 1893 and was in operation until 1969.
Archaeological evidence and First Nations oral history documents that Namu has been used by aboriginal people for at least 11,000 years, making it the longest continuously occupied site in Canada. Namu is a Heiltsuk word for “place of high winds” or “whirlwind.”
The conservancy also protects grizzly bear habitat and many fish-bearing streams.
Size: Namu Conservancy – 10,312 hectares; Namu Corridor Conservancy – 83 hectares
Date Established: June 27, 2008