On This Page
Apodaca Provincial Park
About This Park
Tucked away on Bowen Island, Apodaca Provincial Park consists of scenic cliffs and rocky knolls.
The park is largely undeveloped and serves primarily to preserve unique plant communities.
Established Date: November 22, 1954
Park Size: 12 hectares (8 hectares terrestrial and 4 hectares marine)
Know Before You Go
This park has no facilities and is only accessible by water. Marine access can be difficult due to the constantly changing marine environment and exposed rocky shoreline. Private property adjacent to the park prevents land access.
- Caution is advised around cliff areas and along shorelines due to wash from ferry and other water craft.
- Bring your own water, as potable water is not available in the park.
Location and MapsPlease note: Any maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation.
Nature and Culture
- History: Apodaca was designated to Provincial Park status in 1954, one year after the property was donated to the province by Major J.S. Matthews, a noted Vancouver historian, as a memorial to his son who died at age 22. The park honours the name given to the islands at the entrance to Howe Sound by early Spanish navigators.
- Conservation: The park lies within the Coastal Western Hemlock biogeoclimatic zone and is characterized by Douglas-fir, lodgepole pine, salal, and Pacific madrone. Slope, drainage, and local weather patterns also contribute to the presence of unique, rocky knoll vegetation, which is more typical of the Gulf Islands and Southern Vancouver Island.
- Wildlife: Apodaca’s offshore waters support a variety of marine birds and mammals, such as marbled murrelet, harbour seal, and killer whale. Undersea and intertidal life include Pacific octopus, rockfish, and ochre starfish. The park also offers habitat for coast blacktail deer and a variety of birds.
- Management Planning Information
- Approved master plan for Apodaca Provincial Park [PDF]
This is not the original management planning product. This document has been scanned from the original format of the plan. It may contain some formatting changes, however the content is consistent with the original.