Cody Caves Provincial Park
Attention Visitors – Important Notice!
- Guided Tours are now available in Cody Cave. Please check www.codycavetours.com for full details!
White-nose Syndrome is a fungal disease that has been linked to the mass die-off of hibernating bats in Eastern North America – it poses a significant threat to bats of the west and British Columbia. There is evidence that humans have accelerated the spread through entering caves with contaminated clothing, gear or equipment. Therefore, prevention strategies are focussed on public education/awareness to prevent the introduction of the fungus through human activities. There are currently (as of June 2011) no reported cases of WNS in B.C.
To ensure the protection of bats and their habitat in this park, BC Parks strongly advises that personal caving gear that has been used anywhere east of the Rockies not be used in B.C. Also, before entering caves in B.C, cavers and visitors should consult the provincial WNS website, which includes a link to a Decontamination Protocol for Mines and Caves.
About This ParkCody Caves is a unique provincial park located in the Selkirk Mountains above Ainsworth Hot Springs. In the Cody Caves System, an underground stream flows for over a kilometre through ancient limestone.
Established Date: July 7, 1966
Park Size: 63 hectares
- Care must be taken while driving on the narrow access road. Please read information signs at the highway turnoff before driving the access road.
- Bring your own water, as potable water is not available in the park.
Location and MapsPlease note: Any maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation. Park Tour Operator for details. Proceed past the houses and follow the main road marked with directional arrows until the parking area and Cody Caves trail sign. The caves are 0.8 km. (about 20 minutes) up the trail. The access road is unsuitable for large motorhomes, vehicles pulling trailers or vehicles with low ground clearance.
Nature and Culture
- History: In the early 1890s slopes above Ainsworth were frequented by hopeful prospectors looking for silver. One of these men, Henry Cody, discovered the Cody Caves. Later, in 1899, the caves were the subject of a short story written by Roger Pocock for “Argosy” magazine entitled “The Noble Five”. This story described a cave whose inner chambers were walled with gold ore. The caves then grew in popularity and were visited by many locals and curious individuals including, in 1908, the governor General of Canada, Earl Grey. Though they are not walled with gold, the caves do contain an impressive display of calcite formations that can be seen in many areas of the approximately 800 metres of explorable passage. These formations are extremely old and have been growing at an average rate of about one cubic centimetre a century. The cave itself began formation when limestone beds laid down almost 600 million years ago were thrust upward by mountain building forces that occurred around 170 million years ago. Although the Cody Caves are almost unimaginably old and carved from solid rock, they are exceptionally fragile and can be irreparably damaged in seconds. In fact the caves have probably experienced more change in the 90 years since their discovery than in the previous 9,000.
- Conservation: Only guided cave tours for visitors’ safety and for protection of the cave’s features.
- General Wildlife, Marine & Outdoor Ethics Information
Activities Available at this Park
Pets on Leash
Pets are allowed in the park, but must be on a leash at all times. You are responsible for their behaviour and must dispose of their excrement. Backcountry areas are not suitable for dogs or other pets due to wildlife and the potential for problems with bears.