Standing directly beneath the cliff face is dangerous. Please do not venture off trails or past the viewing platform.
Interpretive information is available at the parking area and along the short trail to the base of the cliff.
Bring your own drinking water, as potable water is not available.
Northwest Escapes Ltd
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (250) 638-8490
Driftwood Canyon Provincial Park
About This Park
Driftwood Canyon is recognized as one of the world’s most significant fossil beds. It provides park users with a fascinating opportunity to understand the area’s evolutionary processes of both geology and biology.
The day-use area is open from May 15 to September 2.
Park Size: 21 hectares
- To ensure that future generations may study and learn more about our earth’s history, BC Parks asks for your co-operation in refraining from removing any fossils. The fossils are more valuable in the ground than they are exposed to the elements of erosion, which spoil their scientific and educational values.
Location and MapsPlease note: Any maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation.
Maps and BrochuresAny maps provided are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation.
- Driftwood Canyon Visitor Brochure [PDF 2.37MB]
Nature and Culture
- General Wildlife, Marine & Outdoor Ethics Information
- Culture: Driftwood Canyon Provincial Park lies within the traditional territory of the Wet’suwet’en people.
- History: This park was established in 1967 to protect the fossil beds on the east side of Driftwood Creek. A portion of the park land was donated to the province of BC by Driftwood Canyon resident Gordon Harvey, who had a keen interest in the fossils at this site. Gordon Harvey performed the role of park interpreter in the early days of park establishment. Preserved within the shale formations are plant, animal and insect species that inhabited the area over 50 million years ago.