R.L.C. Enterprize Ltd.
E-mail address: email@example.com
Phone: (250) 474-1336
Click here to view R.L.C. Enterprize Ltd’s Webpage, for more information.
Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park
- NOTICE PET OWNERS – PETS ARE ONLY PERMITTED ON THE BEACH ADJACENT TO THE CAMPGROUND. Please see the park map. To protect migratory Brant Geese, no pets are allowed within 100m of the entire beach in the park from February 1 to April 30.
About This ParkMajestic old growth trees, beautiful ocean sunsets and an inviting, wide sandy beach with campsites nestled amongst mature Douglas fir trees makes Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park in Parksville one of the premier vacation destinations on Vancouver Island.
At low tide the ocean recedes almost a kilometre, providing an ideal place for visitors of all ages to play in the sand and explore the shoreline. When the tide rolls in over the sun-baked sand, the warmed water is unbeatable for swimming and salt water fun.
Rathtrevor Beach is ideal for a relaxed family outing. Simply sit back and soak up the seaside atmosphere or take a walk through the wooded upland area of the park. All campsites are within a 5-minute walk to the 2 km stretch of sandy beach. The park also features a large day-use area, perfect for an afternoon picnic. For your convenience, the park has a concession managed by the Park Facility Operator.
Bird watching is also a popular activity at the park, particularly in the spring when large numbers of seabirds congregate for the annual herring spawn. During March and April, Rathtrevor Beach is also one of the best spots on the Island to view the migrating Brant geese.
Park Size: 347 hectares
- This is a very popular park all year round. During the summer months (between the last week of June and Labour Day in September), reservations are required. From May 15th to the last week of June, reservations are highly recommended. Although reservations are required in the summer season, unclaimed or unreserved sites may be available on a night to night basis. Please check with the park operator.
- Alternative camping space may be available at nearby Englishman River Falls Provincial Park (13 km) or Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park (24 km). Both of these parks also accept reservations.
- This park does not have a boat launch. The closest launch is at French Creek Marina, 8 km north of the park on Hwy 19a.
|Campground Dates of Operation
All dates are subject to change without notice
|Opening and Closing Campground Dates: (campground is accessible but may not offer full services such as water, security, etc.)
|Campground Dates with Full Services and Fees:||March 14 – October 15
|Campground Reservable Dates:||May 15 – August 31|
|Total Number of Vehicle Accessible Campsites:
Drive-in sites 100% reservable
|174 drive-in sites
25 park/walk-in sites
|Number of Reservable Campsites:||100% Reservable|
|Note: The above information is for the campground only. Park users can still walk into the park if conditions such as weather permit. Check the "Attention Visitor Notice" above for park alerts.|
ReservationsAll campsite and group site reservations must be made through Discover Camping. When reservations are not available all campsites function as first-come, first-served.
Campsite reservations are accepted at this park. All campsites are reservable; there are no first-come, first-served sites.
Group Camp/Picnic Reservations:
Group campsite and/or group picnic site reservations are accepted at this park. Reserve both through Discover Camping, group camp sites from May 15 to September 30 and group picnic sites from March 15 to October 14.
Location and MapsPlease note: Any maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation.
Maps and BrochuresAny maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation.
Nature and Culture
- History: Rathtrevor takes its name from the Irish family who homesteaded on this land. William Rath, a gold prospector, arrived in 1886 with his young wife and baby daughter. They built a log cabin, cleared the land and in 1895 built the barn. William died in 1903 leaving Elizabeth the farm and five children. She proved to be an industrious person, successfully running the farm and eventually operating it as a campground. The suffix “trevor” was added to give the campground a more lyrical name. Rathtrevor Campground became Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park in 1967 and though much has changed since William and Elizabeth first arrived, its beauty and importance will be preserved for our continued enjoyment.
- Wildlife: Several species of wildlife can be seen in the park including deer, raccoons, squirrels, otters, mink, eagles, osprey, hawks, vultures, owls and many shore and migratory birds that use the park area during their spring and fall migrations. The most famous migratory shore birds are the Brant geese (Branta bernicla) who use the beaches of Rathtrevor and Craig Bay as staging and feeding areas on their spring migration to northern Canada and Alaska.
Management PlanningManagement Planning Information
- The approved management plan for Rathtrevor Provincial Park [PDF 1.96MB] is available in PDF format.
This is NOT the original management planning product. This document has been scanned from the original format of the plan. It may contain some formatting changes, however the content is consistent with the original.
Activities Available at this Park
Pets on Leash
Facilities Available at this Park
View the Annual Drinking Water System Report [pdf]: Rathtrevor
Youth group camping charges per night are $1/person (6+), with a $50 minimum and $150 maximum.
Regular group camping charges per night are the base rate for the site, which is $100.00/group site/night, plus $4/adult (16+, minimum charge for 15 adults), plus $1/child (6-15).
Pit or Flush Toilets
Vehicle Accessible Camping
Rathtrevor Beach is very busy during the summer months and reservations are required between the last week of June and Labour Day in September.
Winter Vehicle Accessible Camping Fee: $11.00 per party / night