This park is currently closed due to fire hazard.
Shannon Falls Provincial Park
Attention Visitors – Important Notice!
November 7, 2017: Reservations are currently unavailable
Due to capital upgrades, reservations for the group day-use area are unavailable until further notice.
- June 2, 2017: Illegally parked vehicles
Vehicles parked illegally at Shannon Falls Provincial Park will be subject to towing at the owner’s expense. Visitors must park in designated parking lots and observe the “no parking” signs posted. Vehicles parked illegally in closed day-use areas will be charged a fee for gate unlocking. Thank you for your compliance.
- Visitors must stay on the trails and within the viewing area. Rocks and river edges can be extremely slippery.
About This Park
Shannon Falls is composed of a series of cliffs, rising 335 metres above Highways 99, making it the third highest falls in the province, ranking behind 481 metre Della Falls in Strathcona Provincial Park on Vancouver Island and 396 metre Hunlen Falls in Tweedsmuir Provincial Park near Bella Coola.
The tumbling waters of Shannon Falls originate from Mount Habrich and Mount Sky Pilot.
This park is directly adjacent to Highway 99, making it a popular day-use park. This park provides picnicking, hiking and access to the trail in Stawamus Chief Provincial Park.
For your convenience this park has a concession and information centre located next to the flush toilet building on the trail to the waterfalls. The small centre is managed by the Park Operator and offers food snacks, park and outdoor recreation information and souvenirs.
Established Date: August 29, 1984
Park Size: 87 hectares
Location and MapsPlease note: Any maps listed are for information only – they may not represent legal boundaries and should not be used for navigation. Stawamus Chief Provincial Park. Squamish and Brittania Beach are the closest communities to the park.
Nature and Culture
- History: In 1792 Captain George Vancouver set up camp just west of the falls. The falls were named after Shannon who in 1890-1900 owned the falls and surrounding area and used the clay deposits to make bricks. He then sold the land to Brittania Copper Mines in 1900. In the 1930’s, the area was used as a relief camp for the workers building Highway 99. In 1976 the area was purchased by Carling O’Keefe Brewery, who used the pure mountain water to brew their beer, and made the area a logging show park. In 1982 O’Keefe donated the land to BC Parks. Throughout the park area there is evidence of logging activity that occurred here roughly 90 years ago. A number of excellent spring board notches on old stumps are scattered throughout the forested area and much of the deadfall also exhibits evidence of the logging techniques of this period.
- Culture: This park holds significant spiritual value to the Squamish First Nation, the first people to live in this area. They told of a two headed sea serpent, Say-noth-ka who lived in and around Howe Sound. According to legend this beast travelled both on land and in water. Some versions say it was Say-noth-ka who formed Shannon Falls by slithering and twisting his powerful body up the mountainside on repeated expeditions, Say-noth-ka gradually wore down a spillway for those cascading waters.
Activities Available at this Park
Pets on Leash
Facilities Available at this Park
A Park Use Permit is required for special events. Fires are not permitted in the day-use area. There are both flush and pit toilets available. Garbage bins are provided. The parking lots are extremely vulnerable to vehicle break-ins. This park is very busy during summer months and is frequented by several bus tour companies. The gate is closed between 10pm and 7am.