Park Contact[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Wells Gray Provincial Park: Clearwater River
Attention Visitors – Important Notice!
Corridor road beyond the turn-off to Helmcken Falls closed until spring
The corridor road beyond the turn-off to Helmcken Falls will be gated/closed as of December 10 until Spring (this is an annual winter closure). Please check website for updated notices on when access will be available.
About This Park
The area provides opportunities for hiking, viewing of spectacular waterfalls, volcanic features, a natural rock bridge, quality trout, chinook and char fishing, camping, river rafting, kayaking, wildlife viewing, horseback riding and photography.
- Return to Wells Gray Provincial Park
Know Before You Go
- Attention: The Clearwater River Road is subject to sudden mudslides, rock fall, flooding, washouts and wind throw events possibly blocking the road for extended periods of time. If weather conditions change dramatically, you may well be advised to relocate to a less isolated location. Be prepared for emergencies.
- Most of the park’s lakes and rivers are glacier-fed and the water is icy-cold year-round.
- Do not underestimate the demands of the backcountry. The hiker must be in good physical condition, properly equipped, and prepared to be totally self-sufficient. Take adequate clothing: high elevation weather is subject to change without notice, and Wells Gray’s mountains can receive snow 12 months of the year.
- Known as The Waterfall Park for good reason, streams and rivers have waterfalls of varying sizes – never boat, canoe, raft or kayak without learning first where the pull-outs are.
- Clearwater River Road (west side of Clearwater River) is subject to slides, flooding and is infrequently maintained.
Location and Maps
Activities Available at this Park
For your own safety and the preservation of the park, obey posted signs and keep to designated trails. Shortcutting trails destroys plant life and soil structure. Trail conditions and updates will be posted on the main page under the Attention Visitor Notice.
This park offers a number of other recreational opportunities (including guided hiking tours).
Pets on Leash
Facilities Available at this Park
Pit or Flush Toilets
Vehicle Accessible Camping
Dates of Operation for frontcountry/vehicle accessible sites in Wells Gray
Information about backcountry/walk-in sites in Wells Gray [an error occurred while processing this directive]