- Find a Park
- Making Reservations
- Backcountry Registration
- Events and Initiatives
- Know Before You Go
- Park User Fees
- Children & Youth
- Purchasing Giftware
- Frequently Asked Questions (General)
- Park Enhancement Fund
- Commemorative Gifting
- 100 Benches for 100 Years
- Corporate Partnerships
- Planned Giving Program
- Land Acquisition
- Ecological Monitoring
- Long-Term Ecological Monitoring
- Our Partners
- Conservation Management
- Ecological Reserves
- Conservation Information
- Climate Change
- Mountain Pine Beetles
British Columbia Heritage
- B.C. Rivers
- Canadian Rivers
- Contact Us
- About BC Parks
- Park Operators
- Park Use Permits
- Filming in Parks
- Brochures, Publications & Manuals
- Contact Us
- BC Parks Future Strategy
Strathcona Provincial Park Master Plan Amendment
- Process Overview and Update, February 2009
BC Parks is currently undertaking a review of horse use in Strathcona Provincial Park through the Strathcona Provincial Park Master Plan amendment process and subsequent Park Use Permit application adjudication for Clayoquot Wilderness Resort.
The previous public consultation information is shown below. An overview of the process is contained in this document (49KB PDF).
As part of the Master Plan amendment and Park Use Permit adjudication process, two documents have been produced over the last year to assist BC Parks in the decision making process.
- One report, "Strathcona Provincial Park Master Plan Amendment Horse Use in Strathcona Park (210 KB PDF)," dated November 14, 2008, was prepared for the Ministry of Environment, Environmental Stewardship Division by Harry Parsons, Bufo Incorporated.
- The second report, "Strathcona Provincial Park Level 2 Impact Assessment Horse Use in Bedwell (10 MB PDF)," dated October 30, 2008, was prepared for the Ministry of Environment, Environmental Stewardship Division by Forsite Consultants Ltd.
Background Consultation Information
The primary goal for this public consultation is to provide clarity regarding the role of horses in Strathcona Provincial Park. The intent is to establish criteria for assessing and evaluating proposals for any horse use in Strathcona Provincial Park.
We would like to thank all of the people who took the time to provide us with comments through the website online form, through the mail, at open houses and at public meetings. The comments will be integrated with previous public contributions, results from the environmental study and consultation with other park systems to produce an amendment to the Master Plan that defines the role of horses and the criteria for evaluating any horse use in Strathcona Provincial Park.
The following information posters provide more information on the Master Plan review and were posted at each of the 3 Open Houses and Public Meetings
To view the public comments please choose from the list below. Comments will be added as they become available.
Victoria Public Meeting - June 4, 2008
Courtenay Stakeholder Meeting - May 29, 2008
Courtenay Public Meeting - May 28, 2008
Tofino Public Meeting - May 27, 2008
Public Comments sent via the Website: Compiled up to June 16, 2008
Public Comments sent via the Website: Compiled up to July 6, 2008
Public Comments sent by mail