B.C. Air Quality

Who Can I Contact?

Contact the B.C. Ministry of Forests and Range

The Protection Branch of the Ministry of Forests and Range maintains lists of Open Fire, Campfire, and Forest Use Restrictions, however you may still need to contact your local fire department, municipal government, or the Ministry of Forests and Range to ensure that you are allowed to burn.

For further information on burning, call the B.C. Ministry of Forests and Range at 1-888-797-1717, visit Burning FAQ on their website, or contact the B.C. Forest Service Fire Centre office nearest you:

Dial the Ventilation Index Number

Is it legal and environmentally safe to open burn in your area? Dial the Ventilation Index toll-free number to find out. The Ministry of Environment has set up a central, toll-free number for all parts of the province: 1-888-281-2992. It provides the Ventilation Index forecast and an air quality report for each region. It also explains whether or not it is safe to burn, and where you need to go for burning approvals. You can also find the Ventilation Index at Environment Canada's WeatherOffice website.

Contact the Recycling Information Council of BC

For information on recycling or disposal options, visit the Recycling Council of BC (RCBC) website. You can also call the RCBC Recycling Hotline at 604-RECYCLE (732-9253) in the Lower Mainland or 1-800-667-4321, for the rest of BC. The Hotline operates from Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday. Or send an e-mail to hotline@rcbc.bc.ca.

Related Links: