Ministry of Environment
Integrated Pest Management
Cosmetic Use of Pesticides in British Columbia
In December 2009, the Ministry of Environment conducted a web-based public consultation on the cosmetic use of pesticides. The consultation generated more than 8,000 responses and a wide range of opinions and ideas.
- Background information and discussion topics - Dec 2009 (PDF/91 KB)
- Summary of comments received - March 2010 (PDF/361 KB)
In October, 2011, a Special Committee of the legislature was struck to consider what potential legislation would look like for a ban on the unnecessary use of pesticides.
- Cosmetic Use of Pesticides Presentation - Ministry of Environment - Aug 2011 (PDF/606 KB)
- Report of the Special Committee on Cosmetic Pesticides - May 2012 (PDF/280 KB)
In March, 2013, an amendment to the Integrated Pest Management Act enables the Minister of Environment to develop regulations establishing lists of pesticides that may be regulated differently than other pesticides.
In October 2013, the Ministry of Environment proposed changes to the Integrated Pest Management Regulation. A summary of comments is now available for viewing. The public consultation period on the first Intentions Paper closed on December 8, 2013. Comments received during the consultation are currently being reviewed and an Intentions Paper Summary is available.
- Intentions Paper for Consultation - October 2013 (PDF/91 KB)
- Intentions Paper Summary - February 2014 (PDF/448 KB)