left_menuMinistry of Labour and Citizens' Services

Fish Data Submission

Around the province, fisheries information and data are gathered as part of scientific or environmental studies. The Fish Data Submission website describes the process for fisheries managers, biologists, technicians and contractors to submit their fisheries data and sampling information to the Province. The process is outlined below.

Who needs to Submit?

You must submit through this process if:

  • You have been issued a Scientific Fish Collection Permit by the Province of B.C. This is to meet the condition of your MoE Scientific Fish Collection permit to electronically report your fish collection activities within 90 days of the expiry of the permit.
  • You did not utilize your permit (i.e. did not attempt to conduct sampling). You still must submit basic "Project Information" regarding your intended project through the ‘Online Fish Data Submissions’ site so that you won't be listed as non-compliant for data reporting. You will not have to submit a data report.
  • Have been directed to do so by a Province of B.C. or Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO Permit) authority

You may also be able to submit through this process if you:

  • Have non-permitted Fish and Fish Habitat information and have consulted and received permission from a B.C. Ministry of Environment (MoE) data submission specialist fishdatasub@gov.bc.ca.

Submission Steps:

For MoE Scientific Fish Collection Permit Holders:

  1. Familiarize yourself before you go into the field with the Minimum Data Standards/ (Optional Reading: Purpose for Minimum Data Standards)
  2. Use the required Standard Reporting Formats (Excel Template or FDIS) in all cases where sampling has been carried out
  3. QA your Fish Data Submission spreadsheet (Excel template) using the QA Tool Package (encouraged)
  4. Submit additional related reports maps, photos (encouraged)
  5. Submit Your Data through the "Online Fish Data Submissions"

For non-permitted Fish and Fish Habitat information:

  • Consult and receive permission from a B.C. Ministry of Environment (MoE) data submission specialist. Contact fishdatasub@gov.bc.ca to find the specialist in your region.

If you have questions about any part of the Fish Data Submission process, please email question to fishdatasub@gov.bc.ca.