Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Wildlife Act Review

Controlled Alien Species Regulation

Information for Rescue Centres Possessing Controlled Alien Species

  • What will be considered a rescue centre?
    For the purposes of the Controlled Alien Species Regulation, Ministry of Environment's Fish and Wildlife Branch considers a rescue centre to be an organization recognized by the Ministry of Environment and whose mandate is to take in unwanted Controlled Alien Species and find appropriate homes for them.
  • When will rescue centres require permits??
    Rescue centres will be required to have permits for temporary possession, or shipping/transporting a controlled alien species after April 1, 2010. Applications for these permits will be available after November 1, 2009.
  • What activities will rescue centres be able to continue?
    • Temporary possession of Controlled Alien Species that were in BC on or before March 16, 2009. (This permit enables the rescue centre to hold a  donated  Controlled Alien Species for up to nine months.)
    • Shipping and transporting of Controlled Alien Species, accompanied with the permit.
  • What activities will a rescue centre be PROHIBITED from doing?
    • Breeding Controlled Alien Species
    • Releasing Controlled Alien Species
    • Breaching a condition of their CAS permit
    • Transferring Controlled Alien Species into B.C.
  • What are the penalties for offences?
    The penalties associated with breeding or releasing for a first time offender are:
    • fines ranging from $2,500 to a maximum of $250,000; or
    • a term of imprisonment not exceeding two years; or
    • both a fine and a sentence.
    The penalties for possession without a permit for a first time offender are:
    • fines up to a maximum of $100,000; or
    • a term of imprisonment of one year; or
    • both a fine and a sentence.
  • How much will a permit cost?
    There is currently no charge for permits.
  • When can rescue centres apply for their temporary possession permits?
    The Permit Authorization Service Bureau will begin accepting applications for permits after November 1, 2009. To ensure compliance with this Regulation, and to obtain your permit before the April 1, 2010 deadline, we suggest you submit your application before February 1, 2010.
All owners of Controlled Alien Species will require a permit by April 1, 2010.

Key Dates:

November 1, 2009: Permit applications are available to possess a controlled alien species for personal use. You must have your permit in place by April 1, 2010.

February 1, 2010: The last date to submit your permit application to the Ministry of Environment, to ensure compliance with the regulation, and obtain your permit before the April 1, 2010 deadline.

April 1, 2010: If you are in possession of a Controlled Alien Species without a permit, you may be subject to a penalty for violating the new restrictions.

Click here to for a Permit Application form.

Go to previous section Go to next section