Damage Permits for Migratory Birds
Damage Permits to scare/kill migratory birds (waterfowl that includes
ducks, geese and swans), are issued by the Canadian Wildlife Service.
Damage Permits are issued if the following conditions are met:
- Migratory birds are causing or are likely to cause damage
to agricultural crops, private property (golf courses, parks)
pose a threat to human safety (airfields etc.).
- The area is open to hunting and/or the discharge of firearms.
- The area is closed to hunting and/or the discharge of firearms.
However, a permit may be issued if the applicant includes, with
the written request, a list of nominees and a signed copy of
- A by-law exemption issued by the municipality or
other local enforcement authority; or,
- An exemption letter to discharge firearms from the
local RCMP or other police department.
BE AWARE: the issuance of a Canadian Wildlife Service
Federal Damage permit does not supersede the necessity or legal
requirement to acquire any other pertinent provincial or municipal
Applications for a permit can be made by applying to:
Canadian Wildlife Service
5421 Robertson Rd., RR #1
Delta, BC V4K 3N2