Ministry of Environment
Terrain and Soils Listserv Use Policy
The Terrain and Soils Listservs have been implemented as communication tools for the terrain and soils mapping and information communities, for the purpose of exchanging information and engaging in discussions relating to BC terrain and soils information.
Use of the Terrain and Soils listservs must adhere to the following policies:
- Communications must be courteous and professional in nature
- Communications must relate to terrain or soils information topics, and individuals should be reasonably certain that the communication will be of interest to the broad terrain or soils professional/specialist community. (Communications directed at particular individuals, or between a small group of individuals should be taken off-line, unless the discussions are reasonably believed to be of broad interest.)
- Requests for feedback on, or discussions related to, professional terrain/soils mapping practice or expertise are appropriate.
- Attachments are not permitted, as the listserv owner cannot guarantee the safety of attachments for our subscribers. Alternatives include: 1) include the text of the attachment in the body of the email, 2) invite interested subscribers to request the attachment (by private email), 3) arrange for posting of the attachment to a website, or 4) request that the listserv owner (Ministry of Environment terrain/soils information specialists) post the attachment to a ftp site for access by subscribers. (contact email@example.com)
- Posting of announcements and notices regarding events, training opportunities, employment opportunities, sales of items, or other similar notices or solicitations are permitted, but are limited to items of a professional nature reasonably determined to be of specific interest to the terrain or soils communities.
- The listserv owner reserves the right to deny posting of any items deemed to contravene the listserv policy or to be otherwise inappropriate. [More Info]
The following uses of the listserv are prohibited:
- Any illegal use
- Transmitting or otherwise exposing sensitive information;
- Using the listserv for commercial solicitation, or for conducting, or pursuing business interests, or those of another organization;
- Distributing spam, junk mail, hoaxes, chain letters, advertisements, or other unsolicited bulk email;
- Sending rude, obscene or harassing messages;
- Sending, forwarding and/or replying to the listserv concerning non-terrain or non-soils related business.
- Sending attachments to the listserv
- Attempting to circumvent or subvert the listserv security measures; and
- Knowingly or maliciously propagating viruses, worms or other malicious items.
Questions and requests for additional information may be directed to the Ministry of Environment Terrain and Soils specialists to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Please continue to use email@example.com to make comments, suggestions, inquiries, and information requests directly to the Ministry of Environment terrain specialists.
For information about terrain and terrain stability mapping, soil mapping, standards/guidelines/user guides, access to maps, reports and data, and other related information, please visit: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/terrain/ or http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soils/
Initially this listserv will be closed (subscribers are screened by the list owner), moderated (all messages are screened for compliance to the listserv policy by the list owner prior to posting), and hidden (only the list owner has access to the subscriber list). These settings will be reviewed periodically and may be modified if no abuses are occurring or if discussions are being slowed/impeded. The list is owned by Ministry of Environment.
This listserv is provided as a public service to support the communications of the professional terrain and soils communities by Ministry of Environment, Government of British Columbia.
The messages/items posted to the list are the sole responsibility of the subscriber sending the item, and therefore all of the information is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied. The messages/items posted by subscribers are not in any way endorsed by the Ministry of Environment, and do not necessary reflect the perspectives of Ministry of Environment. Any and all implied warranties, including, without limitation, implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement, are hereby expressly disclaimed.
Limitation of Liabilities
- Terrestrial Ecosystems Information home
- Soils home
- Environment home
- Integrated Land Management Bureau
- GeoBC Gateway
- Discovery Service -LRDW
- The MapPlace
- Make a map
- Tri Ministry Library
- Ecology home
- RISC home
- RISC- ecology
- GSC terrain science
- Island Geoscience