4. Recommendations for Water Quality Management
· Reduce sources and levels of fecal coliforms, non-filterable residue, and turbidity in the watershed.
We recommend that monitoring be continued at this station as the South Thompson River is important both as a water resource and as an aquatic habitat. Key variables to monitor in the future are:
· flow, hardness, pH, non-filterable residue, turbidity, air and water temperature, dissolved organic carbon, specific conductivity;
· total and dissolved aluminum, copper, iron and zinc, fecal coliforms and E. coli, total dissolved nitrogen, and total and total dissolved phosphorus. Minimum detectable limits should be at least 10 times below water quality guidelines for all variables; and
· adsorbable organo-halides (AOX) to document background levels upstream from the pulp mill at Kamloops.