Municipal Discharge of Firearms

Municipal Committees

These committees are responsible for reviewing and discussing topics such as boundaries and recommending changes in the discharge bylaws.

Active committees, such as Delta and Richmond, meet on a regular basis. Other committees such as Chilliwack, Pitt Meadows, the Township of Langley, Coquitlam and Mission only meet when it is necessary or if an issue is presented.

For those cities and municipalities that do not permit general discharge of firearms for hunting (e.g. Surrey, Langley), agriculturally zoned lands have been depicted where crop and agricultural lands protection activities can be expected.

Municipal discharge of firearms bylaws are enforced ONLY by Bylaw Enforcement Officers and local police departments; NOT by B.C. Ministry of Environment (Conservation Officer Service) or by Environment Canada (Canadian Wildlife Service).

The community charter gives cities and municipalities authority to regulate uses of firearms and archery equipment (including cross-bows).

Top of page.

Municipal Restrictions

Most municipalities have local bylaws restricting and controlling the use of firearms and bows within their boundaries. Consult municipal clerks for details of closures.

Municipal by laws that affect the discharge of firearms and/or bows are NOT included in the Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis.

Top of page.

Fraser Valley Regulations

There are certain firearm restrictions in the Fraser Valley area. Certain areas are closed to the discharge of firearms by local government law, and other areas are closed to hunting by the Government of Canada, provincial government agencies, or private institutions.

Provincial regulation prohibits hunting and discharge of firearms within 100 metres of a church, school building, schoolyard, playground, regional district park or dwelling house, farm or ranch building that is occupied by persons or domestic animals.

In additional, all local governments prohibit the discharge of firearms "within 150 metres of any workshop place of business, public highway or the place where persons may be assembled or engaged in work of any kind".

A Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence (FVSAHL) is required to hunt anywhere within provincial Management Unit (MU) 2-4 and those parts of MU 2-8 within Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Mission and Coquitlam. A Provincial Hunting Licence is also required, as well as a federal Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit if migratory birds are hunted. FVSAHL licences are available from Government Agents and selected sporting goods stores in the Fraser Valley. Evidence of current $1,000,000 public liability and property damage insurance must be provided to obtain this licence. A FHSAHL licence is automatically invalid if the insurance coverage is not current or maintained.

Top of page.

Regional District Regulations

All cities, municipalities, and regional district parks are closed to the discharge of firearms.

Discharge of shotguns, with shot only, is permitted in certain areas such as agricultural zones; however, land owner's permission must be obtained. Ask permission before hunting. Trespassing is an offence.

Regional District Parks and trails are closed year-round to possession and discharge of firearms and to hunting except where specifically exempted. Please contact the Metro Vancouver office at 604-432-6350 or Fraser Valley Regional District at 1-800-528-0061 for more information.

For more information view the Fraser Valley Special Area Hunting Licence booklet, or visit the BC Wildlife Federation.