Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Damage Permits for Migratory Birds

Damage Permits to scare/kill migratory birds (waterfowl that includes ducks, geese and swans), are issued by the Canadian Wildlife Service. Damage Permits are issued if the following conditions are met:

  • Migratory birds are causing or are likely to cause damage to agricultural crops, private property (golf courses, parks) or pose a threat to human safety (airfields etc.).
  • The area is open to hunting and/or the discharge of firearms.
  • The area is closed to hunting and/or the discharge of firearms. However, a permit may be issued if the applicant includes, with the written request, a list of nominees and a signed copy of either:
    1. A by-law exemption issued by the municipality or other local enforcement authority; or,
    2. An exemption letter to discharge firearms from the local RCMP or other police department.

BE AWARE: the issuance of a Canadian Wildlife Service Federal Damage permit does not supersede the necessity or legal requirement to acquire any other pertinent provincial or municipal permit.

Applications for a permit can be made by applying to:

    Gloria White
    Canadian Wildlife Service
    Permit Section
    5421 Robertson Rd., RR #1
    Delta, BC V4K 3N2

    Phone: 604-350-1950
    Fax: 604-946-7022