Kootenay Boundary Higher Level Plan
The higher level plan order for the Kootenay Boundary will come
into effect on January 31, 2001. The following elements of the
Kootenay Boundary implementation strategy are established in the
Kootenay Boundary higher level plan order:
- In addition to old forest retention targets, there are mature
forest retention targets.
- Measures to address caribou, regional connectivity and important
avalanche tracks for grizzly bears are included.
- Green-up will be reduced while maximum patch size has been
increased in accordance with the natural forest disturbance
- Enhanced resource development zones for timber are confirmed.
- Restoration of fire-maintained ecosystems.
- Some increased protection for streams within domestic watersheds.
- Establishment of scenic areas.
Achievement of the economic and environmental objectives will
be assessed after three years, to allow time for the higher level
plan order to take effect and be monitored.