Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Accompany to Hunt Permit

Eligibility and Steps to Obtaining an Accompany to Hunt Permit

Basic Eligibility Criteria

The following criteria must be met in order to proceed with an application for an Accompany to Hunt Permit:

  • Must be a BC resident, who is a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada;
  • Must be 19 years of age or older; and must have:
    1. Held a BC resident hunting licence AND a big game species licence for 3 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit; OR,
    2. Successfully completed the BC Conservation and Outdoor Recreation Education Program, and held a BC resident hunting AND a big game species licence for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding application for this permit;
  • Must possess, or be qualified to possess, a BC resident hunting licence in good standing; and,
  • Must not have applied for or been issued an Accompany to Hunt Permit during the same licence year as the application.
  • A person is not eligible for a permit if another permit under section 70 (1) (a) of the Act has been issued for a different time period in the same licence year that applies to the non-resident or non-resident alien whom the person will accompany under the permit.
  • A person is not eligible for a permit under section 70(1) (a) of the Act if either the applicant or the non resident or non resident alien to whom the permit would apply, has been convicted of an offence:
    1. Specified under section 84 (1) (a) of the Act, within the 5 year period immediately preceding the application for a permit; or,
    2. Specified under (a) section 84 (1) (b) of the Act, or (b) the Firearm Act within the 3 year period immediately preceding the application for a permit.

Applicants may accompany either or both:

  • A non-resident - a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who
    • is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada; or,
    • Has his/her sole or permanent residence in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the date of this application.
  • A non-resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non-resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the following categories:
Father; Mother; Spouse;
Brother; Sister; Father-in-law;
Son; Daughter; Mother-in-law;
Uncle; Aunt; Son-in-law;
Nephew; Niece; Daughter-in-law;
Grandson; Granddaughter; Brother-in-law;
Grandfather; Grandmother; Sister-in-law.
NOTE: “COUSIN” is NOT an accepted relationship
  • Restriction of hunt area:
    • Applicants are restricted to hunt within ONE Region with a choice of three Management Units (M.U.s) within that Region.

Steps to Obtaining a Permit to Accompany a Non-Resident Hunting

NOTE: Applications for Accompany to Hunt Permits must be received at least 4 weeks before the specified “hunt start date”.

Questions regarding permit requirements that are not addressed within these pages or for contact information visit: FrontCounter BC.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do Accompany to Hunt permits have any restrictions?
Yes, there are restrictions throughout regions on various Management Units and Species that can be hunted by non-resident hunters. Please contact above for specific restrictions.
Do I need to complete the Declaration of Hunt Report [PDF 122KB] if the hunt did not take place or if there was no kill?
Yes – the report must be completed in all cases. Permittees must submit a completed “Accompanied Hunt – Report Form[PDF 99KB] NO LATER than ten days after the “Hunt Finish Date” stated in the permit and royalty payment for each animal killed.
Are there royalty fees applicable to Accompany to Hunt permits?
Yes, fees are as follows:
  • Mountain sheep $250
  • Mountain goat $150
  • Moose $125
  • Elk $125
  • Caribou $125
  • Cougar $125
  • Black bear $75
  • Deer $50
  • Wolf $50
Where do I purchase Non-Resident Licences and Species tags?
These licences can only be purchased at Government Agent Access Centres (see link for locations) throughout the province or from the Fish and Wildlife Branch (click here for details) in Victoria.
Please note they can not be purchased at Sporting Goods stores.