Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

Guide Outfitters in British Columbia

All non-residents are required to be accompanied by a licenced guide while hunting big game, i.e. deer, mountain sheep, mountain goat, moose, caribou, elk, cougar, wolf, grizzly bear, black bear, lynx, bobcat, and wolverine. Guides are not required while hunting small game, i.e. game birds, migratory game birds, fox, raccoon, coyote, skunk and hare.

Guide outfitters employ assistant guides to assist in providing guiding services. Guide outfitters set their own guiding fees. It is suggested that you contact several guide outfitters in the area of your choice to obtain full particulars regarding the species of game available, the recommended period to hunt, rates, services provided, and reservations. The assurance of a successful and enjoyable hunt is most dependent upon a clear understanding between the hunter and guide outfitter as to what each expects from the other.

A licenced guide may not have more than two hunters in the field at one time.

The Province is divided into nine administrative regions, having a total of 225 management units for the purpose of efficient game management.

Refer to the British Columbia Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis for maps showing boundaries of management units, regions, and other pertinent information.

Please Note:
As of August 8, 2003, hunter-harvested wild ruminant meat from Canada and certain hunting trophies may now enter the United States through designated land ports and all international airports.

USDA is also accepting import permits for certain other ruminant-derived products from Canada. The decision to modify the restrictions for these and hunter-harvested ruminant products was made after USDA experts determined that these items posed a minimal BSE risk and an extremely low risk to human health. This determination followed a thorough review of the international animal health standards pertaining to BSE, the results of Canada's exhaustive epidemiological investigation of the BSE case in Alberta, and the additional disease risk mitigation measures established by Canada in response to an independent panel's review of the BSE investigation. Additional information can be found at the USDA website.

Before you hunt:

  1. Make sure you have:
    1. Your resident or non-resident hunting licence.
    2. Species licences for those species you intend to hunt.
      (Also make sure the species you wish to hunt are in the area of your planned hunt.)
    Applications for non-resident hunting and species licences are available
    from Service BC Offices or:
    Fish and Wildlife Branch
    Ministry of Environment
    PO Box 9374, STN PROV GOVT
    Victoria, B.C.  V8W 9M4
  2. Your licence application, accompanied by your remittance in Canadian Funds by Bank Money Order or Draft on a Canadian Bank, should be sent to a Government Agent or Victoria office 60 days in advance of your hunting trip. Alternatively you may purchase your licences at these offices during business hours. Have a clear understanding with your guide outfitter as to who is purchasing the licences. Refunds are not issued for duplicate licences.
  3. Be familiar with hunting regulations as outlined in the current Hunting and Trapping Regulations Synopsis (available from the same sources as the hunting application).